Friday, December 5, 2008

Of monkeys and terror…

As I was madly rushing down the three long floors of my apartment, determined to catch the ever-elusive bus today morning, someone on the second floor warned me against something that awaited me on the next floor. My mind already at the bus stop, contemplating on how I could brave the crowds today, did not hear an inkling of what he said. I made a gesture with my head that vaguely looked like a nod and continued on my trail. As I flew down to the first floor, my legs automatically braked. I stood there, my heart at the throat ready to jump out. I could see a huge monkey sitting on the floor, eying me tentatively. The first reaction I could muster was a heart-piercing shriek.

The monkey just sat there and gave me a bored look. I could almost hear what it was thinking. "Yawn! Think of something else lady. I have heard about a million shrieks in my lifetime".
After my heart stopped thumping and started breathing normally, I looked up to see if that good old soul who had forewarned me was still around to shoo the monkey away. All I could hear was a slam of the door signaling the end of any outside help I could possibly get. It was now only me against the smelly monkey.

I dared to inch forward a bit and the monkey lunged to the railings. My heart by now had reached my mouth. One more move and it would come out. The monkey on the other hand showed no sign of agitation. It was telling me, "Let’s see if you have the guts to cross me baby".

I flapped my arms with a book (The Kite Runner :)) in hand, attempting to frighten it. All I managed to do was look like an oversized butterfly. I had by then assumed that the monkey was male. Well, given the goofing up and weak attempts at showing off, it surely had to be male!!!
Then help came from unexpected quarters. The male monkey’s girlfriend slowly loomed into focus. The minute she appeared, our hero started slinking away. She came and gave him the 'What have I told you about ogling at beautiful girls?" look. (Fine. Don’t gag. She probably gave him the 'Stop frightening her. She already looks like a scared chicken" look)

She prodded him and they both jumped up and vanished from the floor, but not before screeching their lungs out at me. I also joined in the chorus and the whole apartment shook. After the worst was over, I quickly scuttled away to catch my bus, the monkeys went back to monkeying around, but the whole neighborhood was wide awake. "Was that a terror attack?” I heard someone say.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

'What have I told you about ogling at beautiful girls?"

such a long post to convey this idea? :)

Pondivya Elizabeth M said...

:) another awesome work..

Anonymous said...

with all the fashion changes happenig so fast, i am not quite sure the boy and girl monkeys could have identified you as a human girl. if they could, they would have evolved as humans too.
perhaps, due to the same reason, they decided not to.

why should all good sights like pretty but panicked butterflies be the privilege of monkeys. my ordinary face would have launched 1000 ships in full retreat mode and yet i can not hope to elicit a similar response from you.

Anonymous said...

may be monkeys have a simple rule :
whatever wont fit into any other description is a human girl - much like a human boy's attempts to decipher a human girl.

terrific post. may more monkeys chance upon you.