Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Robot? Really??

Just managed to watch Robot, the so called Superstar Rajnikanth masterpiece. If one superstar was not enough, there are hundreds of him towards the end. The movie thrives on this sole principle – an absolute lack of logic. I could even make peace with that. But, the Robot doling out the inevitable ‘Amma sentiment’ dialogue in the climax almost made me wish I had a pair of metal hands that I could use to squash my brains out.

If Issac Asimov had to watch this piece of monstrosity rolled out in the form of a superstar film, he will probably have to rewrite all his laws of ‘robatics’ ( yes, the Robot advises the mother to teach her son ‘robatics’ in the end). Because, Rajni Robot can bash up a bunch of rowdies in a train compartment effortlessly, but also get destroyed with a few swishes of an ordinary pickaxe. Robot Rajni can talk to mosquitoes and make them say sorry to Aishwarya Rai, but becomes blinded if you flash a mirror at him.

And I almost forgot to mention the evil red chip that can make a friendly robot turn into a destructive robot. That was the heights of brilliance, treating a robot like a tape recorder that can play good music and bad music. Aishwarya Rai has become old and should stick to roles that suit her wrinkles. She cannot pass off as a college girl anymore. Period.

Ok, I agree the graphics were definitely classy for an Indian movie. After the likes of Krissh and Hiss, such efforts should definitely be lauded. The ‘Happy Diwali folks’ sequence made me squeal (literally) with joy.

I understand, going to a superstar movie and expecting a sensible string of events is far fetched, but the least you expect is some sense. I have enjoyed the trademark Superstar antics in a lot of his previous movies and I am an unabashed fan of his, but stupidity in the guise of sci-fi is just off-putting. I prefer the simple, hard-working, rags to riches Paalkaran or Padaiyappa to a metal-loving, weirdo scientist and his equally dim-witted Robaatic creation.

No comments: